AAW Symposium 2014 in Phoenix

 
 
 
       I was invited to be a demonstrator at the American Association of Woodturners Symposium this year in Phoenix Arizona from June 13th through the 15th.
      This is an international event that featured a veritable who's who of the woodturning world, and I was very honored to be among these amazing artists.
       I did two rotations on Spindle turning, and duplication with emphasis on tool technique, architectural shapes, and design.
      The first rotation was on Friday the 13th, and in keeping with tradition everything that could go wrong did, but with the help of Al Hockenberry, and the volunteer technical staff we were able to stave off a disastrous start to the weekend. 
       I have to doff my chapeau to all of the AAW volunteers who really made this Symposium such a great event. There was so much to do what with the Friday night Auction, Saturday's Banquet, the Instant Gallery, the youth turning room, and the fabulous Trade Floor that made for such a wonderful experience. I had a great time.
 
     I was very surprised to find out that the UK based Woodturning Magazine picked one of my pieces from the Instant Gallery to be in their September issue article on the 2014 AAW Symposium.
     The Maple Burl Platter pictured below was one the pieces that the author of the article, Mark Baker, chose as examples of the Instant Gallery. Thanks Mark.
    The Woodturning Magazine article is posted on the AAW website under 2014 Symposium.
    I have posted a few photos of some of my work below. I hope you enjoy them. (Click on image to enlarge)

 
 
 Black Acacia Bowl with vertical grain.
9" inches in diameter by 3" inches high.
 Tasmanian Myrtle Vessel
4 3/4"inchs in diameter by 5 1/2" inches high.
 "Bowl with a hole" Maple Burl
10" inches in diameter by 2" inches high.
 Amboina Burl Bowl
9" inches in diameter by 3 1/2" inches high.
 Walnut Goblet
3" inches in diameter by 8 1/2" inches high.
 Ebony Chalice
4 1/2" inches in diameter by 6 1/2" inches high.
Maple Burl Platter
14" inches in diameter by 2" inches high
 

Comments