Looking back at 2011

 2011 was quite a year for yours truly. We started out on a very high note in January by having the 34 Ford Woodie we worked on for so long place first in the Street Wagon class at the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona. Quite an honor considering how many cars that there were in that show. Check out photo 222 in the 2011 indoor gallery on the Grand National Roadster Show's web site.
In March I hit a very low note in that my younger brother Richard passed away. I kind of lost interest in posting any blogs here, so that is why this blog sort of stagnated.
    In June I had another high note in that I was invited to host a discussion panel at the American Associaton of Woodturners symposium in St. Paul Minnesota. On that panel there were two other master turners speaking; Jerry Kermode of Santa Cruz California, and Mark Supik of Baltimore Maryland. Our subject was called the Unknown Woodturner, and it was basically about architectural woodturning. We had a great time.
    In that same month I also taught a woodturning class at William Ng's School for Fine Woodworking, and I also posted a woodturning video on Youtube.com. Be sure to check it out. It is called turning a goblet with James Santhon.
     I ended the year on a sour note, but I'm alive and well, and somewhat in my right mind. Hopefully, I'll have more to offer you in the way of projects in this coming year.
    Have a Happy New Year!

Comments

  1. Hi James, happy new year from New Zealand. I am also looking forwards to what 2012 will bring and hope to finally make some headway with my 34 Woody project. The inspiration came 20 years ago with Doug Carr's famous 'hotwood' and I have been acquiring bits for the past 10 years.

    We aim to complete our major DIY house renovations/rebuild in the next few months and I will then start on the woody. It will be a scratch build and in effect the wood will be over a steel structure in order to meet our custom build new vehicle requirements.

    I have built cars before but the woodie is an order of magnitude or two beyond my previous experience. Your photos have been great. I would appreciate any additional info or sources you may have as it is difficult being so far removed. I have the normal woodie books, some magazine features and Mike Chiavetta's brilliant drawings of his Dodge woody on a model A frame - but 34 Ford detail drawings and pictures seem to be largely unobtainium.

    Do you have photos in addition to what you have posted? It would be great to get copies.

    Thanks and regards

    Phil

    Phil Bradshaw
    Wellington
    New Zealand
    33woodie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment